My Desk



Do you have a piece of furniture that has been your "place" through various seasons of life? Something that has traveled with you from one living situation to another, and that you have grown to prize over time? 

That piece of furniture for me would be my desk. When almost thirteen, I expressed to my parents my desire for a surface where I could write and focus on homework and scribble out notecards to various friends and penpals. Well, my parents took my thoughts seriously, and for my thirteenth birthday gave me a cherry wood desk complete with slots for letters and envelopes and all manner of whimsical things to find their homes, a bookshelf, and drawers for any writing or creative materials I might need in my endeavors. This gift came as a surprise to me and was way more beautiful than I could have imagined it being. 

The desk became the place where I worked on homework, where I was in the Word, where I buried my nose in NCLEX study materials for my nursing licensing test, where I applied for jobs, where I journaled and wrote letters. It is now the place where I take Zoom classes for work and write blog posts and watercolor and DREAM. It is a place where books and journals and notes and photos have all become cluttered to the point that my work surface looks like a scrapbook, where a lamp sits from my Uncle Steve (a lamp that is exactly what I had been looking for for this space and exactly what he was hoping to give away, haha!), and where St. Augustine gives his two cents, via a large post it note, on the peace of God ("in You is repose which forgets all toil...")



This thing has witnessed tears and laughter, especially watching my YouTube people over the years here (Olan Rogers, Blimey Cow, Good Mythical Morning, Sherlock/Dr. Who fandom videos, etc.). 



Overtime, the desk has taken on a personality of its own, with every new notch and imperfection in its stained surface. I hope to be able to use it till the day I die, and I look forward to what will happen here in future. 

I guess this post is not really anything deep, just a description of an obsession, LOL! Happy Wednesday!

XO, Rebecca :-)


{official writing glasses, they serve no 
other purpose than to filter out blue light 
and make me feel like a real author 
when I'm writing at ze desk hahaha}


Comments

Popular Posts